Anabaptist Disabilities Network has been asked to help make this year’s Mennonite Church USA Convention at Orlando, Florida, on July 4-8, more accessible to people with disabilities. As a result, ADN is seeking a Convention Accessibility Coordinator and on-site volunteers for Orlando.
Many accessibility services have already been available at previous MCUSA Conventions, but this year our intent is to make accessing those needed services easier than ever, and we will offer additional services.
We are working with convention planners to facilitate increased Accessibility Services at the MCUSA Convention in Orlando. Be sure to include your accessibility needs when you register for Convention!
Disabilities Accessibility Services will include:
- American Sign Language (ASL) interpretation
- Hearing assistance devices
- Motorized scooters or chairs (rental fee not included)
- Large Print resources, as requested New
- Songs, speaker presentation notes, seminar hand-outs, etc.
- Large Maps showing accessible Restrooms & Elevators New
- Special Quiet Spaces or rooms for various uses
- Daily assistance with purchasing Meals from Vendors * New
- Help for those with Vision or Mobility disabilities to get from place to place, purchase meals, or find seminar locations
- and more
* Note that instead of going to a dining hall for meals, convention attendees will be able to purchase each of their meals from food vendors who will be scattered throughout the Exhibit Hall.
The Convention Accessibility Coordinator and Volunteers will also be available to Listen to Concerns, and in consultation with Anabaptist Disabilities Network and Convention Planners, will form Advocacy Plans when appropriate.
The Accessibility Coordinator and Volunteers will wear
“Love is a Verb… is Accessible” Vests
to help others identify them and access needed services
To Make this Possible,
Anabaptist Disabilities Network seeks:
Convention Accessibility Coordinator
Stipend Available for the Convention Accessibility Coordinator,
and some registration & lodging discounts are available for volunteers.
See the MCUSA Convention site for details.
For more information
contact Kathleen Nofziger Yeakey
Anabaptist Disabilities Network